Wednesday 16 September 2015

About Daughter



'Daughter' and an indie folk band composing of Elena Torna (singer), Igor Haefeli from Switerzerland (guitarist) and Remi Aguilera who hails from France (drummer).  They formed in 2010 after Elena met Igor. Originally Elena Torna performed under her own name as a solo act before stating that 'it didn't suit me at all.' She later went on to perform with Igor then at a later date with Remi as their drummer.

In 2010 the band first released a series of demos entiled "Demos Ep" which were recorded in Igor's bedsit before being self-released. These demos and word of mouth started creating a small fanbase and later in 2011 the released their debut EP "His Young Heart". Later that same year they released a second EP "The Wild Youth" in October. This EP became one of their most known EPs including singles such as "Youth" and "Medicine" which have both been used in popular culture.

In 2012 after head-lining a show in London, Daughter announced that they signed up to UK label '4AD' who also have signed up artists such as Bon Iver and Iron & Wine. After this they had the opportunity to start releasing singles and at a later date an album. They first released a single called "Smother" in October of 2012 soon followed by singles such as "Human" and "Run". Later on in 2013 they released their debut album "If You Leave" which won Independent Album of the Year at the AIM Independent Music Awards in London.

Elena who writes the lyrics to all the songs states that 'I never tell anyone what my songs are about' and these words are often rather metaphorical with no clear meaning. An example of this is the song 'Landfill'. The lyrics are as follows:

"Landfill"
Throw me in a landfill
Don't think about the consequences
Throw me in the dirt pit
Don't think about the choices that you make
Throw me in the water
Don't think about the splash I will create
Leave me at the altar
Knowing all the things you just escaped

Push me out to sea
On a little boat that you made
Out of the evergreen that you helped your father cut away
Leave me on the tracks
To wait until the morning train arrives
Don't you dare look back
Walk away
Catch up with the sunrise

'Cause this is torturous electricity
Between both of us and this is
Dangerous 'cause I want you so much
But I hate your guts
I hate you

So leave me in the cold
Wait until the snow covers me up
So I cannot move
So I'm just embedded in the frost
Then leave me in the rain
Wait until my clothes cling to my frame
Wipe away your tear stains
Thought you said you didn't feel pain

Well this is torturous electricity
Between both of us and this is
Dangerous, 'cause I want you so much
But I hate your guts. I want you so much
But I hate your guts.
Well this is torturous
Electricity between both of us
And this is dangerous 'cause I want you so much
But I hate your guts
I want you so much but I hate your guts

(Words from of azlyrics.com)

The song has no clear storyline and uses visual metaphors as a way of creating a beautiful image. To Elena the lyrics to her songs have meaning, however to the audience the lyrics can mean anything. For example many speculate that the meaning behind this song is about being tossed away by those you cared about but we will never the true meaning behind the song and what experiences inspired Elena to write this song.

Daughter's songs have been used throughout popular culture, being used in adverts for Tour de France and in TV shows such as Grey's Anatomy, Hollyoaks, Skins and Arrow. Their indie folk vibe makes for emotional ambient music which tells a beautiful story. I choose this band due to this as it gives me the opportunity to match the visual imagery of the lyrics with music video visuals.

In the following interview, Daughter explain their story, how they met and how they work. It is an interesting insight to their music that shares more of their personality and their love for music.



A link to their live performances can be found here.

More information on Daughter can be found on their website at ohdaughter.com. All their music can be found on iTunes, their Bandcamp or their Soundcloud

No comments:

Post a Comment